COMING SPRING 2019:
BE A MAKER (Carolrhoda Books)
words by Katey Howes, illustrations by Elizabet Vukovic
MAGNOLIA MUDD AND THE SUPER JUMPTASTIC LAUNCHER DELUXE
words by Katey Howes
art by Valerio Fabbretti
Sterling Children’s Books, Jan 2, 2018.
Meet Magnolia Mudd: an inventive girl who’d rather tighten a nut and a bolt than tie a ribbon or bow.
For Magnolia Mudd, her Uncle Jamie is the very best grown-up. He always invents cool things with her . . . until the day he and Miss Emily announce their engagement. That’s bad enough—but even worse, Miss Emily wants Magnolia to be a FLOWER GIRL! No way is Magnolia tossing petals. She’ll have to engineer the perfect way to be part of his special day using her favorite source of energy – Mudd Power!
Howes’ text has just the right tone and is highly relatable, while Fabbretti’s illustrations are comic book bold, funny, and capture myriad emotions. VERDICT: A girl who loves inventing finds an unexpected ally in her uncle’s bride-to-be. Fun text meets spot-on illustrations with a little learning thrown in—it’s a winning combo. —School Library Journal
FUN AND EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Download this STEM Fun with Magnolia Mudd PDF with 3 great Mudd-Powered activities kids can do with household items.
- Head over to STEAMpowered Family for a MAGNOLIA MUDD inspired Confetti Cannon Challenge – perfect for ages 4 and up!
- Download Magnolia Mudd coloring pages here.
- Try out the NASA stomp rocket project with your family, class or club!
- Get the inside scoop on the inspiration behind Magnolia Mudd with this interview on All The Wonders.com
words by Katey Howes
art by Rebecca Hahn
Ripple Grove Press, August 29, 2017.
A 2018 ANNA DEWDNEY READ TOGETHER HONOR BOOK
ABOUT THE BOOK:
Grandmother Thorn treasures her garden, where not a leaf, twig or pebble is allowed out of place. But when a persistent plant sprouts without her permission, Grandmother begins to unravel.
“Her hair became as tangled as the vines on her fence. Her garden fell into disrepair. One morning, she did not rake the path.”
A dear friend, the passage of seasons, and a gift only nature can offer help Grandmother Thorn discover that some things are beyond our control, and that sweetness can blossom in unexpected places.
“This well-crafted tale offers a gentle lesson of stewardship and living in peace with nature.” – School Library Journal
“Lovely.” – Kirkus Reviews
“A visually arresting reminder that compromise has its benefits.” –Publishers Weekly
- Order GRANDMOTHER THORN on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or wherever you buy books!
- Read about the story behind the story with Karlin Gray’s #Firstpicturebook Blog.
- Get a glimpse inside and under the cover!
- Download the Educator’s Guide, complete with common-core linked curriculum activities and suggestions for social studies, science and art connections.
- Read a librarian’s perspective on this special book at Librarian’s Quest by Margie Myers-Culver.